Food Starter's facility is the perfect place to start producing your food product - contact the Food Starter team today.
Food Starter provides commercial kitchen space designed to meet the needs of small scale and start-up food producers. The facility is ideal food entrepreneurs who want to grow their businesses in a provincially-inspected food production space, with professional equipment and access to a supportive environment.
Any client company or entrepreneur using Food Starter facilities must adhere to the following requirements.
- Food products containing either raw or cooked meat, poultry or seafood may be restricted to being produced at certain times or in certain areas as per the judgement of the Facility Manager or Executive Director.
- All health and safety guidelines apply to the use of any Food Starter shared and common equipment.
- The use of any common equipment is not permitted until an orientation session has been provided by Food Starter staff and clients fully understand how to use the equipment. This orientation will also include proper hand-washing and dishwashing practices, as well and appropriate cleaning and sanitation methods.
- It is the responsibility of each client to provide their employees with appropriate health and safety training, as well as familiarize them with Food Starter Policies and procedures.
- The names of client employees shall be provided to Food Starter for health and safety and on-site security purposes.
- Clients and any persons employed by the client company must provide copies of their completion and certification as a Food Service Handler/Safe Food Handler in accordance with the Toronto Public Health regulations.
- The Food Starter Facility Manager has the authority to demand compliance. If said compliance is not obtained within a specified time frame then the client will be asked to refrain from using the premises until the situation is rectified.
- In the case of receiving or shipping goods, clients are required to be on-site or sign an authorization form designating someone to receive or ship on their behalf. Food Starter staff will bear no responsibility for this function.
Clients must adhere to Food Starter dress and sanitation requirements, which include the following:
- Closed toed shoes, preferably with steel toes, to be worn in Food Starter food production areas at all times.
- Hair nets and, if necessary, beard nets to be worn at all times in the food production area.
- No short pants to be worn in Food Starter.
- No street clothes, jewelry or exposed nail polish to be worn in the food production area.
- Highest standards of personal hygiene must be followed at all times to ensure food safety. Hair must be clean, tidy and contained; hands and nails must be clean and sanitized; clothing worn for food production must be clean and changed as frequently as necessary to ensure that no contamination occurs.
- No consumption of food or drink is allowed on the production floor other than for sampling and testing purposes.
- Cell phone use is absolutely prohibited in the food production area.
- Change room lockers must be emptied entirely by clients and their employees at the end of their production shift. Any locks left on overnight will be cut and the contents of the locker will be disposed of.
- Smoking and the consumption of alcohol are not permitted on Food Starter property at any time.
It is the responsibility of each Food Starter client to:
- Comply with all the rules regarding sanitation and upkeep of all shared/common equipment and premises.
- Report any cleanliness and sanitation issues prior to the use of any shared/common equipment by reporting it to the Facility Manager.
- Ensure the equipment use sign-in sheet is completed in full, at the start and completion of its use.
- Report any equipment malfunctions or maintenance issue(s) to the Facility Manger immediately (verbally, via telephone or email as the case warrants) and file an Equipment Maintenance Report.
Insurance and Indemnification
It is the responsibility of each Food Starter client company to:
- Provide at their own expense, supply and maintain during the term of their use of Food Starter product liability insurance to the value of $2 million per occurrence providing coverage for all food products produced within Food Starter’s premises once they have products that are shared with or sold to the public or potential customers.
- Complete and submit the declaration in Schedule B stating that the Client has obtained the required insurance coverage. A certificate of insurance naming Toronto Food Business Incubator as being “additionally insured” shall be provided to the Incubator when requested.
- Agree to indemnify and save harmless Food Starter, its sponsors, officers, directors, members, employees and agents from and against all liability claims, damages and expenses arising out of the use of the premises, and any act of neglect by Clients or its agents and employees, including but not limited to injury, damage or loss of property.
- Agree to indemnify and save harmless Food Starter, its sponsors, officers, directors, members, agents and its employees from and against all liability, claims, damages and expenses should the Client’s business not be successful and/or fail.